Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Sweater love

DSCF6113

I finished all my undergrad grading last night, but I still have more than 1/2 of my M.A. class's research papers (worth 50% of their) grade trickling.  So I'll be in grad seminar grading purgatory for a bit longer, but Blokey and I are gonna pretend like we're done with the semester tonight, make popcorn and watch one of his very erudite European/Taiwanese/Iranian films.  (Last week it was I am Curious (Yellow) and I am Curious (Blue)).  I like this sweater, but it feels awkward to style.  I don't know why.  Maybe the short sleeves and the length?  But Blokey really likes it and compliments me whenever I wear it, so why not?
This is an almost 100% second hand/thrifted outfit.  The sweater and dress are from Salvo, and the boots from Beacon's Closet.  The belt is a swap.  How rad is that?
Oh, and Buster wants to show you his tail.
Since starting No Repeats, I think I've gone "Cynthia style", because I realize how much of my casual clothes I ignore during the semester.  So far, this has been a good reminder that I have a lot of clothes.
 
Happy Wednesday, Style Nation.

Dress: Talbots, thrifted
Vest/sweater: Free People, thrifted
Boots: Durango, via Beacon's closet
Belt: swap box from Pineapple Mint Vintage

14 comments:

  1. I'm with Blokey - the vest is super cool. And I think you've styled it beautifully here! The cowgirl boots are a perfect choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great, quirky sweater, and it looks great layered over the dress.

    Pictures are always improved by addition of a cat, I think. Right now Tweety is trying to "improve" this comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I would have a hard time styling that as well, but I think this is a bang up good job. I love the way it's layered and the color combo on the whole outfit is just really nice. I love it with the black tights and boots and the dress you've chosen as the bottom layer really lets the sweater be the star.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, nice styling of a tricky item! I really like the belt over it. Enjoy your movie night :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that you styled the sweater really well.

    Buster is huge now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another fan of that fantastic sweater here! I will buy an indulgence for you to get you out of purgatory sooner. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't you love when all you can get an outfit that is all thrifted? It makes me happy, you know what else makes me happy? Those cowboy boots. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks so different to your usual! Great though! really really like that cardigan!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your sweater! You are rockin' the casual looks :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Sal: Thanks, I feel B.A. in these boots.
    @Cynthia: Yeay for Tweety! Cats make it all better.
    @WWWYG: I'm glad you liked it. I hope I can figure out other ways to style it.
    @Anne: We didn't watch a movie. We graded. Lame...
    @Rebecca: I know. He's almost as big as our lady cat.
    @LaHdM: Thanks for the indulgence. I hope to be out of purgatory tomorrow evening.
    @MissB: I'm glad you appreciate the cowboy boots. They're not always appreciated in NY.
    @Franca: I am trying to branch out with this challenge. I do have colorful clothes. I'm just scared to wear them.
    @Eek: Thank you. I hope to keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I, too, dig this vest. And this whole ensemble would be perfect for our upcoming karaoke-then-breakfast extravaganza. I'm just saying.

    Also, I'm impressed that you can watch smart movies at this point in the term. Myself, I'm re-reading Anita Blake novels and nodding off halfway through the second sentence.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just stumbled on your blog! I'm loving that vest. You definitely styled it really well. Especially with those boots, but that might just be because I'm obsessed with cowboy boots! Haha.

    Good luck with all your marking! And happy holidays, of course!

    Check out mine?
    QUIRKYEXPLOSION.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have a sweater with similar proportions, and it's not as quickly style-able as other pieces of mine. However, I dig what you've done with it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVE this outfit! Perfectly mixed cool, urban cowgirl and a touch of boho. I'm going to go look at this again.

    ReplyDelete