Happy Tuesday, Style Nation. Right now I am in grading purgatory, and I'm sinking neck deep into additional research work (Deadline of the DecadeTM is coming up, February 1). Today, I am attempting mixed patterns again- diamond tights and a slouchy striped knit cardigan. And my favorite cut off shorts, which I am glad other people are wearing again. Since I accidentally dyed my white tank tops bluish-green after washing them with a brand new beach towel, I co-opted Blokey's tank for this look. But he's giving a final right now, so he can't mind too much.
Last Sunday, jesse.anne.o tagged me for a "seven things" list meme. Her's is super cute (including super cute photos). I hope mine are about as 1/2 as endearing, although I haven't scanned in kiddie photos for this, but maybe later (as holiday gift to Style Nation?)
1. I play the guitar, quite poorly, mostly as an accompaniment to singing (which is moderately tolerable, but not good in a choral sense). I may post a video some day. I realize this is very vain, but then again, I do post pictures of my outfits regularly.
2. I spent my first semester of college at a U.S. Service Academy (a.k.a. "naked army"). I can't quite explain why I chose to go there, and it was a full time job applying (Senatorial nomination, physical exam, fitness test, interviews). At 17, I thought I was going to be a politician, and I thought joining the military meant helping to stop humanitarian crises in Eastern Europe. Hey, it was the 90s! This explains my love of military styles and combat boots.
My brief stint in the military (service academy attendance equals active duty service) is the only time I've ever done 7 pull-ups. I can barely pull myself up once now.
3) Berlin is my favorite city to visit. I went there in 2005 as a result of strange circumstances and had a blast. I'd love to take Blokey there and see all the old post-communist stuff in the East again.
Marx, me, and Engels, in front of the now destroyed Palast der Republik
4) I used to run about 7 miles, 5 times a week. I was very hard core about running outside as long as it was above 0 degrees (Fahrenheit). Minnesota made me a cold weather beast.
5) My sister, who is 17, is one of my style icons. She takes risks, she mixes bold colors/patterns, and always looks comfortable and awesome. She did a rockabilly thing when she was about 12 years old, wearing an oversized boy's blazers, Converse, and skinny jeans. She got a sewing machine at age 13 and made a bunch of cosplay clothes. I can't believe how cool she is.
6) I spent the first 2 weeks in NYC, after moving here from MN in 2008, on crutches and an aircast boot. Why? Because I fell off my bike one hot summer's night, after a fateful drunken bachelorette party. This is why I shouldn't drink. It looked a bit like this:
Nobody is nice to you when you're young and crutches in this city. Please enjoy Blokey's super 1970s, super Scandinavian 'do.
7) Blokey and I live on the top floor of our brownstone in Bed-Stuy. This rocks not only because we can see Manhattan from our window (including the Empire State building), but it's marginally quieter and we don't hear folks on top. Last night, we went up and looked at the lunar eclipse (and my attempts at a picture on the windy roof resulted in blurry, smidgey pictures not worth sharing with anyone). Most importantly, sometimes our kitties can see very exciting things, like pigeons.
(Can you spy Buster's buddy?)
I'm supposed to tag others. Participation is optional, and of course you should totally work around your holiday blogging hiatuses (hiati?)
2. All the lovely ladies at In Professorial Fashion
Tank: Hanes (via Blokey)
Cardigan: Roxywear (via Cliche, Minneapolis)
Shorts: from old pair of Levi's