Wednesday, December 29, 2010

No Repeats Catch-up, with a side of awkward

OK, so the past couple days have been busy and productive, but I didn't always take a picture, so please accept my reproduction of some outfits from last Saturday to today, although I hope to pick out a winner outfit for going out tonight (train service in my neighborhood is supposedly back to normal). 
Since I didn't take photos for a few days, I think I lost my picture mojo.  I feel awkwarder in these photos that I have in a while.  But hey, I'm OK with a little awkward. 





I basically wore various reiterations of this outfit several times since Thursday.  I figure if I'm wearing an actual waistband, it's not totally schlubby.  Look at that pink!  (My ma bought it for me)
Skirt: Swap via Pineapple Mint Vintage
Top: Junior's department of Dillards
Sweater: Uniqlo


This used to be my go-to traveling outfit.  Although I didn't have jeggings until this spring, so I just wore regular leggings.  Doesn't this look a bit like something that lovely Rebeca or Chalkdust and Boots might wear?  I thought about a belt, but decided that I like the long lines of the tunic. 
Sweater/tunic: Old Navy
Jeggings: Hue (via Alamo Shoes, Chicago)
Boots: Born

This is my Style Underdog outfit. She rocks the Target tunic like no one's business.  Uh, perhaps this is shorter than I thought it was (it looked longer in the mirror.)  I would like to wear this out tonight to meet friends but I need to weatherproof myself first.  I picked up the tunic during the blogger meet-up with jesse.anne.o and WhatIWore this past summer and I haven't worn it yet (it's an awkward length.  Awkward is my theme of the day).

Tunic: Thakoon for Target
Belt: Swapbox from Pineapple Mint Vintage
Tight: Target
Thermal shirt: Uniqlo (it works!)
Boots: MIA
Hat: Brooklyn Industries

And finally, my failure outfit.  Worn today.  I just can't get this to look not terribly nerdy.  I tried first with summery jeans, but I looked so bottom heay and stumpy that I tried on jeggings (my other darker jeans are dirty and all stretched out).


If there's one thing that GAAD has taught me, it's that I'm in dire need of a pair of flattering, non-skinny dark wash jeans for everyday use.  I dig skinny jeans/jeggings, but sometimes a fuller pair of pants works better.  Well, July is only 7 months away.

Shirt: Vintage, via Beacon's Closet
Belt: swap from PMV
Cardigan: thrifted
Jeggings: Hue, via Alamo Shoes
Boots: Born
Jeans: BVD (very old), via UO

Hope everyone has a happy last Wednesday of 2010!  I'm working/editing/writing, and ocassionally sneaking in bits of "The Tudors" on Netflix instant demand (I need carrots and sticks sometimes).  How are you spending today?

13 comments:

  1. This morning the hole in my roof got fixed. Then I actually came into the office for a while but now no one else is here and it's kinda tomb-like. I'm going to go home, read Joan D. Vinge's The Snow Queen (a fantasy classic that I dug up when I was preparing stuff to go to Goodwill) and see if I can get all my brain cells to melt into a totally relaxed configuration.

    I like #4 with the bootcuts. It's nerdy but cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, thanks for the shout-out! I LOVE your first outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. More love for the first outfit! Today is our first full day at home after holidays, so I'm trying to catch up on blogs, laundry, housekeeping...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another fan of that first outfit here! And I actually am quite fond of the last outfit. I think it's the collar that might be signifying nerd here. I would just embrace it and go with geek chic.

    I'm transcribing a lengthy document from 1543....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the long sweater youmwore n the second outfit.

    I have been working from home on a very boring project.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Rad. I love the nerdy outfit, which is not nerdy. I agree, the SU outfit is very SU. I'm wearing something like it right now. Funny, I have outfits that I label RAD outfits. Yay for the influence of blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I liked the top outfit but only b/c it included a pink v neck shirt underneath which made everything else look good. The outfit with the grey beret was another great, great look for me, especially with the good use of blue belt surprise and the layering of long shirt underneath.

    I did not like your plaid shirt outfits, especially with the jeans. The other one was ok. Maybe i just don't like the plaid shirt? Though I do wonder how it would look without the sweater or tucked in. I don't know why I don't like it because I like the style. Maybe, the collar isn't right on you (should be bigger or something)?

    Audrey

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lady you don't look awkward in the photos. But, I hear ya on picture mojo- sometimes it's like photo magic others it's photo blah. I love the two tunic outfits! I'm thinking I may need jeggings for travel outfits : )

    Also, cheap monday makes some decent dark wash skinnies - but their sizing can be funny and varies from wash to wash even in the same style of jeans! so be sure to try lots on (I worked in a friend's denim boutique and picked up lots about jeans) excellent knowledge to have I'm sure : )

    Thank you for your comment on my blog. I'm trying to stay positive.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like your style underdog look - you are totally rocking the tunic.
    And I think everyone has outfits that just refuse to not look awkward. or that you can't seem to force yourself to stop looking awkward in. I have no idea what controls this.

    Chic on the Cheap

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, how did I miss this yesterday? I like all of these outfits. I'm a little jealous of how well you rock the tunic look.

    I really love the belted plaid shirt. The white peter pan collar and sleeves are so cute! I think it looks better with the darker jeggings, so I'd agree that you need to get yourself some dark jeans post-GAAD. I don't know what I'd do without dark jeans myeslf.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Cynthia: eek about the roof. I hope that got fixed pronto. Did you enjoy the book?
    @C&B: Thanks. I thought it was hopelessly frump, but now I'll reconsider
    @K.Bean: Ah, the post holiday catch up. Hope it was productive for you.
    @LaHdM: Your document sounds fascinating. I've been watching the Tudors, which is clearly mostly fiction, but I see why Spain during that period must be so interesting.
    @Rebecca: I was thinking of you when I picked out the outfit. Hope your boring project gets done soon.
    @StyleUnderdog: I remain humbly honored that you would label any of your outfits Rad-like
    @Audrey: Luckily I can play around with style until I find something that works.
    @LaFille: Thanks for the Cheap Monday heads up. I've tried on some of their jeans and then felt bad about myself for a few hours, but maybe there are more sizes available now? I hope you're feeling better.
    @Lyddie Gal: Thanks. Maybe I'm just awkward feeling sometimes? And the camera captures it?
    @Anne: I'm definitely getting a pair like your long and leans in mid July- full price if I have too. You're 30x30 demonstrated how essential they are.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am late to commenting on everything due to work and then illness but...

    - I really like that Old Navy sweater with its collar

    - I totally want to steal how you've styled that tunic; adorable

    - I love the collared plaid shirt and cardigan

    I agree - good jeans are essential. I think I might try on some of the new Gap straight legs, weirdly enough.

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Cynthia: eek about the roof. I hope that got fixed pronto. Did you enjoy the book?
    @C&B: Thanks. I thought it was hopelessly frump, but now I'll reconsider
    @K.Bean: Ah, the post holiday catch up. Hope it was productive for you.
    @LaHdM: Your document sounds fascinating. I've been watching the Tudors, which is clearly mostly fiction, but I see why Spain during that period must be so interesting.
    @Rebecca: I was thinking of you when I picked out the outfit. Hope your boring project gets done soon.
    @StyleUnderdog: I remain humbly honored that you would label any of your outfits Rad-like
    @Audrey: Luckily I can play around with style until I find something that works.
    @LaFille: Thanks for the Cheap Monday heads up. I've tried on some of their jeans and then felt bad about myself for a few hours, but maybe there are more sizes available now? I hope you're feeling better.
    @Lyddie Gal: Thanks. Maybe I'm just awkward feeling sometimes? And the camera captures it?
    @Anne: I'm definitely getting a pair like your long and leans in mid July- full price if I have too. You're 30x30 demonstrated how essential they are.

    ReplyDelete