Thursday, December 9, 2010

30 for 30 Wrap-Up

And there's all 30 of my outfits!  Just taking a preliminary look through all of them, I'd say that my favorites are definitely things that I put together for work, rather than casual outfits.  I've always said that I have a harder time with casual outfits, but here I think it's because I limited myself by picking out mostly pieces that would be appropriate for work, and would kind of work okay for casual wear.  This was my mistake in clothes shopping for years until I could actually afford to build 2 separate (but sometimes overlapping) wardrobes.

I think there's definitely been a great value in this challenge for me in realizing how versatile some of my pieces are (or aren't).  When I was younger, I remember my mom buying me "outfits" as opposed to clothes, so I had it in my head for a long time that some pieces could only be worn with certain others.  I've started to break myself of that over the past few years, but not being allowed to have specific fall-back outfits has really helped me break that mentality for good.

A couple other important things that I saw were, as many of you commented yesterday, that pinks and purples are definitely my colors!  Blue has always been my favorite color, but it's clear which colors look best and are the most versatile to me.  The other thing is that dresses and skirts are clearly my friend!  My most favorite outfits from the challenge involve my black skirt or dresses.  I really missed all of my other skirts and dresses in this challenge, and I have ideas about different ways to wear all of them now, rather than pairing them with the same exact cardigan or cami like I would have before.

I had wanted to put together some numbers about this, but I just don't have it in me today.  I had a pretty rough day at work yesterday (can I say, Stylenation, that getting your lovely comments periodically throughout the day really cheered me up!) so I'm giving myself a little mental health day today.  Doing anything with percentages or spreadsheets or anything like that is too close to work for me.  And I think the pictures speak for themselves.

Fellow 30 for 30ers, what have you learned?  Are you excited to get back to the rest of your clothes?

If you're itching to do another challenge, how about the No Repeats Challenge?
(Note: Cynthia's been having issues with her site lately, so if you can't access her link, you can read more about it here at TCC by clicking on "No Repeats Challenge" underneath our banner)

17 comments:

  1. Yeay for being done. I am super impressed with this awesome collage. I like what you're saying about buying versatile pieces instead of "outfits," something that other wise members of StyleNation have also stressed. Way to rock this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom always bought me outfits as a kid, and I often still think of my clothes that way.

    I really like the gray and red dresses you chose for the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations for being done! I'm two days away, and I really can't wait.

    Also, the red dress? I'm salivating over here. GORGEOUS.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cardigan-love is strong in this one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YEAY!!! you're done!!!And you looked amazing through it all. I finished with not so good results- i stuck to it best I could. But I didn't get many photos I was computerless) I have to say that about a week in I was itching to wear the other items in the closet...

    I just got my new computer so I'm ready to join the no repeats - which I think will be a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the collage, and I really enjoyed reading your thoughts on the whole experience.

    Hope today is providing some much-needed ease.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a great looking collage -- check out your mad remixing skillz. One of things I'm finding interesting is seeing what items I didn't really wear that much of. Pulling all the pictures together like this is a great idea!

    Hope today is going better than yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anne--I think my favorite of all these beautiful looks is the red dress combos! I hope tomorrow is a better day for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hooray for completing the 30!
    I think you've done a great job with your pieces; now start enjoying the rest of your closet!

    Chic on the Cheap

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great bunch of outfits! I love all the colour you incorporated into it.

    I'm going to give the "No Repeats" challenge a pass - I have not repeated a single outfit in nearly 3 years! :-P

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome job, and you are right, pinks and purples are you colors! I can't believe we made it through. Congrats!

    I'm going to pass on the No Repeats challenge for now; while my weight is changing I need to be able to cycle through small sets of pieces that fit in each size. That takes enough effort keeping that up, you know? I don't need to add more rules to the mix.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wheee! Awesome job of completing the challenge!

    I may have mentioned it already, but I'm going to have to miss this next challenge. I will be traveling a lot this month and early next month, and am also taking a bit of a break from blogging. I have to finish grading finals in the next couple of days. Then after that I have a manuscript project to clear off my desk by January 3. I will be excited to see all the looks that ya'll put together, though!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Look at all the purple...I don't know that I have any purple, but seeing it on you I think I should get some.

    The Auspicious Life

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations on getting through the challenge! And on getting through a crappy day at work. Hope you are toasting your bad self with a cube of wine!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Look at all the purple...I don't know that I have any purple, but seeing it on you I think I should get some.

    The Auspicious Life

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's a great looking collage -- check out your mad remixing skillz. One of things I'm finding interesting is seeing what items I didn't really wear that much of. Pulling all the pictures together like this is a great idea!

    Hope today is going better than yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  17. YEAY!!! you're done!!!And you looked amazing through it all. I finished with not so good results- i stuck to it best I could. But I didn't get many photos I was computerless) I have to say that about a week in I was itching to wear the other items in the closet...

    I just got my new computer so I'm ready to join the no repeats - which I think will be a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete