Thursday, December 16, 2010

The Red & Black Wagon

No Repeats, Day 4
To show support for A-Dubs falling off the wagon, I'm sporting her favorite color combination: red and black.  Okay, I actually had this outfit planned out before I saw her post yesterday, but still, I'll be supportive of that fall.  And why not?  It's such a great combination!  

Today is my office Holiday Party.  The holiday party has definitely scaled back over the years, going from an evening at a nice local restaurant with all-you-can eat and drink to a lunch in the office.  But still, it's a free meal and an excuse to hang out with some of my more fun co-workers instead of working.  After work, Fella and I have a big date!  We're having dinner downtown, and then seeing Chicago's own Andrew Bird at Fourth Presbyterian Church.  As noted over on Sheila's blog a couple of weeks ago, churches tend to have awesome acoustics.  We saw Andrew Bird play at this church last December, and it was amazing.  Actually, he's kind of amazing on his own.  He's seriously a one-man band, playing several instruments throughout the course of his set. So being a music nerd myself (I can play several instruments too, but not very well) yeah, I'm pretty excited.

Another thing I'm excited about?  These boots!  And see, even Jude's excited!  I think you could count on several hands how many times I've complained about my problems finding a decent pair of knee-high boots.  They've been a fashion hurdle for me for years.  I had bought a pair by Naturalizer a couple months ago, but even being "extended calf," they were nowhere near big enough for my rippling, muscular calves.  I bought this pair from Eddie Bauer because they have a nifty little stretch panel in the back, and the panel actually works and the boots fit!  Woo!

Do you have any fun holiday stuff coming up?  Have you managed to get over any of your fashion hurdles?

Cardigan: New York & Company
Dress & Leggings: Target
Boots: Eddie Bauer
Necklace: New York & Company


19 comments:

  1. You look great, and I'd like to echo your enthusiasm for those boots! Woooo!

    Holiday stuff: finishing up the gift shopping, making some cookies with the sprog, long drive to Canada next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this outfit on you. You look really amazing.

    Also, hear hear on the value of a calf stretch panel in boots. Best invention ever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeay for holiday parties and for your rocking out the red and black. It's a great combo, for sure.
    And can we get a close up of those boots?
    Enjoy Andrew Bird. I once saw Sufjan Stevens in a church in Vancouver, which sounded good, but the pews were super awkward (and we couldn't get seats, so our view wasn't so great).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very festive. I can see why you missed your non 30x30 items!

    I've got red and black planned for tomorrow...

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fab outfit for a work party! Perfect!

    Love the boots - my favourite brown boots have a stretch panel and it's the best for those of us with muscular legs.

    Thanks so much for the shout-out! Have a blast at the gig!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your necklace gets lost in the dress. Wear something in a stronger shape or more contrasting color. You can hardly see the boots in your photos....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great hair cut for your face. It's youthful, sleek, and perhaps very practical or easy to style. As you look good casual or dressed up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. K.Bean: Thank you! Good luck getting all of your holiday stuff done :)

    Emily: Yes, isn't that panel a great idea? It makes a world of difference!

    Rad: Sure, I'll try to post a close-up of the boots this weekend, though blogging will probably be a little sporadic since I'll be traveling. We didn't have great seats last year either, so hopefully we can get in nice and early tonight!

    Cynthia: This is only the tip of the iceberg on stuff I've missed!

    Sheila: It's tough being so muscular, isn't it? :)

    Anon: Well, the necklace is a lot more noticeable in person than in photographs. And my haircut is pretty easy and manageable, which is perfect for my early mornings.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The red of this sweater is so brilliant with this patterned dress. Red looks gorgeous on you ("AnnE likes red. Red, red, red.")!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anne! Check out SU's boots today! Do it!

    Did you check it? Back lace-up boots! Perfect for those of us with rippling calves. It's good to have options.

    ReplyDelete
  11. D-Med: Oooh, nifty! Thanks for passing that on, Dorky! Ladies with rippling super-calves definitely need to unite.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You look amazing!! I mean, you always look great, but this is totally a wow dress/outfit for me. And it goes to show that no one should ever be apologize for wearing red, white, and black frequently. Or every day, for that matter. (A-Dubs!) : )

    Can't wait to see more iterations of the boots! And I love what the necklace is adding to the outfit, plus what looks like sparkly buttons on the cardi. Normally I try to avoid matchy-matchy nail colors, but sometimes it just WORKS, as it does here. Especially for a holiday party!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The whole outfit looks great and very versatile for the long list of events in your day.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is a fabulous outfit; love the colors and patterns! Oooh, I might have to check out Eddie Bauer's boot selections now...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very festive outfit, Anne! Red can be difficult to wear, but it adds a nice splash to your outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is a fabulous outfit; love the colors and patterns! Oooh, I might have to check out Eddie Bauer's boot selections now...

    ReplyDelete
  17. D-Med: Oooh, nifty! Thanks for passing that on, Dorky! Ladies with rippling super-calves definitely need to unite.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a fab outfit for a work party! Perfect!

    Love the boots - my favourite brown boots have a stretch panel and it's the best for those of us with muscular legs.

    Thanks so much for the shout-out! Have a blast at the gig!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yeay for holiday parties and for your rocking out the red and black. It's a great combo, for sure.
    And can we get a close up of those boots?
    Enjoy Andrew Bird. I once saw Sufjan Stevens in a church in Vancouver, which sounded good, but the pews were super awkward (and we couldn't get seats, so our view wasn't so great).

    ReplyDelete