Monday, November 8, 2010

30 for 30, Day 1

Happy Monday morning, Stylenation.  Did you have a good weekend?  I had some serious issues getting home from work on Friday (in that it took me 3 hours to travel 25 miles!) but aside from that, my weekend was pretty relaxing.  I hung out with fella, ate some good food, did some baking and went shopping for new gym clothes (to motivate me to keep getting to the gym and all) and serveware for our upcoming Thanksgiving dinner.  I planned out my menu last week and realized that I don't have many serving dishes.  Namely, I don't even have a platter, and we're making 2 turkeys.  So that has been remedied thanks to a trip to Target.  This will actually be the 7th Thanksgiving dinner I'm hosting, but for whatever reason I just haven't bothered with nice dishes in years past.  Anyway yes, I'm a total nerd when it comes to cooking and cooking-related things, I'm totally psyched about Thanksgiving, and I plan things ahead to a really annoying degree.

But on to the clothes.  Today is the first day of the 30 for 30 Fall Challenge.  You can see my list of 30 items here.  The first day is pretty exciting because I can wear anything out of those 30 items.  Although I already am trying to plan the whole week's worth of outfits (see above on annoying planning tendencies) so that I don't run out of clothes.  This may be trickier than I thought.  Not long ago, I wondered about pairing bright colors together.  I've actually paired pink with green before, but it was subtle, so I didn't think much of it.  I like the color combo, so I went with it again today.  You may remember that I paired this dress with both this necklace and this cardigan here, but not in the same outfit.  I like the green and green, and like the added punch that the pink belt seems to give the entire ensemble. The tights are these animal-print tights, although you can't really see the detail in this picture.

Edited to add Necklace detail:
Fellow 30-for-30ers, are you ready to get started?  Jude's excited to cheer me on.  Have a good Monday!

Dress (item #20): Target
Cardigan (item #4): Loft
Shoes (item #28): Naturalizer
Necklace: New York & Company (2008)
Watch: Anne Klein, gift from my mom (2006)
Earrings: Gift, Fella's mom (2008)
Tights & Belt: Target
Wine Cube: also Target
 hello

18 comments:

  1. I love the haircut! It looks great!

    The outfit is lovely as well--I am always impressed by your belts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, don't you hate those awful commutes?! I'm glad your weekend took a turn for the better after that.

    You look great in this outfit, and I'm looking forward to seeing how you remix for the 30 for 30! I also think your haircut looks even better in this full shot than I realized it did in the close-up shots earlier.

    -Liz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute! I love the pop of color the belt adds to the outfit!

    Sorry about the heinous commute. I hope you'll be posting more about Thanksgiving food on your other blog! I think we'll do a small dinner just the two of us here and just do a turkey breast and plenty of my favorite side dishes. I hosted people the past two years, so I'm fine with a low key holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bummer about Friday's commute.
    I third the sentiments about your hair. It looks even cuter with your outfit.
    I've never thought about pink and green (I always pair green with blues) but the combo is awesome on you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The pink looks great with the green. Love the tights - they are my favourite jazz-up-an-outfit accessory.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pink and green! I think of Lily Pulitzer--a kind of resort wear that people I only read about wear. You've made it surprisingly down-to-earth and lovely grounding it in your black ensemble, Anne. And as everyone else is saying, your haircut looks even better today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the pink and green together.

    I didn't know Target sold wine. We have weird laws about that stuff in MN.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks everyone! My hair is always so clean and silky after I get it colored, so it doesn't hold any kind of shape and generally doesn't look as good - I should've held off on the pictures until today :)

    LHdM: Yes, I'll absolutely be blogging about Thanksgiving over on the food blog. A small dinner actually sounds really nice - I know I'm a glutton for punishment by doing big dinners year after year. I'm curious as to what your favorite sides are though...

    Rad: I know you pair green with purple too (the skirt and belt you bought here this spring), so pink is just the next logical step :) I really think green might be a neutral - what doesn't it look good with?

    Sheila: I agree with you on tights! It seems like such a small thing, but they make a difference.

    Charlotte: I love that the 2 main colors on LP's homepage are pink and green right now too.

    Rebecca: That stinks! Our Targets all have huge alcohol sections - it's generally cheaper than grocery stores, and they make their own wonderful wine cubes. IL is the most lax state I've lived in when it comes to liquor laws though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with everyone above: awesome haircut and sweet colour mixing, Anne! And I think you might be right about green.

    Also, Jude's an excellent dancer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Why, oh why do I not have a Target wine cube in front of me right now?

    Love this outfit -- and the haircut. I also really like the necklace -- any chance we could get a detail shot next time you wear it??

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is beautiful.

    Also, I'm wishing that I, like you, LHdM, and other smart 30 for 30ers, had numbered my items. Day 1, and I already see why that might be a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm all for bright color togetherness. And you've got plenty of neutrals in your 30 to keep from going too crazy if you don't want to.

    I would totally want to plan out every single outfit before hand. It's what I've done before with wardrobe capsules (I did seven days with 5 items and then decided I didn't like capsule challenges anymore).

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Anne,
    I repeat what everyone said. Hair, color combo, LP, Thanksgiving, Jude, etc...
    Oh, and Cheers. Mine didn't come in a box or from Target. I think I'm missing something.

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMG Anne! I just read your comment on my blog. Are you coming to SoCal? If so, let me know. Does Fella want to learn to surf? Do you? I got that covered. I can keep going about how much we could do...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm all for bright color togetherness. And you've got plenty of neutrals in your 30 to keep from going too crazy if you don't want to.

    I would totally want to plan out every single outfit before hand. It's what I've done before with wardrobe capsules (I did seven days with 5 items and then decided I didn't like capsule challenges anymore).

    ReplyDelete
  16. OMG Anne! I just read your comment on my blog. Are you coming to SoCal? If so, let me know. Does Fella want to learn to surf? Do you? I got that covered. I can keep going about how much we could do...

    ReplyDelete