Wednesday, November 10, 2010

30 for 30, Day 3: A Copy Cat!

Happy Wednesday, Stylenation!  To make up for yesterday's lack of color, I'm bringing on the color full-force with a red dress (I thought it was burgundy, which is how I listed it in my item list but it definitely looks more red).  I was changing the water for my flowers this morning, and realized they'd be a perfect accessory.  If only I could carry them around with me all day.  Aside from the problems that that much constant exposure to pollen would cause me, it'd be nice to have something so cheerful.  

Since the dress has some slight decoration, I kept the accessories pretty simple.  Although I do have other combinations in mind for a remix of this dress later this month.  I went with black tights because the dress is a lot shorter than something I would normally wear, but dark tights made me feel okay about the excess leg exposure.  That, and I think seeing shorter dresses and skirts on others throughout Stylenation have made me more brave about showing more leg.  So thanks for that :)

And now that I'm thoroughly hooked on Mad Men (thanks again, IPF), I'd like to point out that this dress totally reminds me of something Joan would wear.  I might have bought it knowing that, since I just love Joan's style.  A quick search helped me find this shot of her (I think it's from the Season 2 premiere), so yay, I finally did a copycat.  Although I accessorized with silver instead of gold.  And I don't think black tights were prominent in 1962, so I'm guessing Joan paired her red dress with nude pantyhose.  I'll have to watch that episode again when I get home, just to be sure.

Do you have any TV style icons?  And has reading fashion blogs made you wear something you may not have worn before?

Dress (Item #22): Target
Shoes (Item #28): Naturalizer
Tights: New York & Company
Brooch: New York & Company
Earrings: New York & Company (see detail here)
Watch: Anne Klein, gifted
 hello

20 comments:

  1. That red dress looks great on you.

    Joan is always gorgeous, and she makes me want to be a redhead. I always like Blair's clothes on Gossip Girl, and Emma Pillsbury's on Glee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so fab on you. Love love love it. And I love that you included it in your 30 items, because it will be neat to see the different ways you style it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow--echoing Emily's love. Great that you found a dress so close. Also a fan of the flowers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You make a great Joan! This dress shows off your curves perfectly and is uber flattering. Joan would totally approve!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You found a perfect match, great look and attitude to match. btw: I love that show! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha! I wore the same dress in purple (burgundy?) with grey cable-knit tights yesterday (same concern about excess leginess.) I like the brooch - what are your thoughts on wearing it with a scarf?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey! I have that dress in grey and have worn it many times over on FA! You look awesome in the red iteration of it here!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a great dress that looks fab on you! Very Joan!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, on both accounts.
    I love looking to my fave fictional characters for style inspiration, mad men included. And Fiona from Burn Notice, and back in the day, Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

    And other bloggers for sure, we've invented some of the best trends -- belted scarfs, belted cardigans, belted blazers (okay, we just like to throw belts over everything).
    Florals and stripes, brightly colored tights, knee high socks...

    Chic on the Cheap

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rebecca: I haven't seen much Gossip Girl, but I could definitely see Blair as an inspiration! Same goes for Glee - I need to watch more TV. Or not...

    Emily: It felt a little crazy to throw a red dress in the mix, but it'll be a good challenge.

    Ann, Rad, Mrs. J & E-Jo: Thanks! :)

    Walking Barefoot: I really like the purple color, but maybe I don't need 2 of these. But I could definitely see it with a scarf or even neckerchief - the neckline is perfect for it!

    LHdM: I found your gray dress in a post last month - very cute!

    Lyddie: Belted scarves? Did I miss that one? But since you mention it, I have been belting a lot more since I started blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This really IS very Joan Holloway :) It looks fantastic on you, and I love that you added the brooch

    ReplyDelete
  12. You look just fab in this - wow! I love the red, and the short hem (awesome legs!).

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your take on Joan's style. I really think that a sheath dress is just a great timeless piece and you look great in this one!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How did I not already tell you that I love this? Very Joan, very gorgeous. I also love your brooch.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very cool dress, Anne! This color, too, is great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So cute! I have seen that dress in Target in various colors but have not seen it worn as well as you are!

    ReplyDelete
  17. you look STUNNING in that dress! The color is gorgeous!

    I have it in black, but you're making me wish I had it in red!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Julia: Thanks! I didn't even see it in black, but I bet it's pretty versatile!

    ReplyDelete
  19. you look STUNNING in that dress! The color is gorgeous!

    I have it in black, but you're making me wish I had it in red!

    ReplyDelete