Wednesday, November 3, 2010

More Post-Election Blues

Like Rad, I'm a little bummed about the election results.  You can't tell by this picture, of course, but I've been in a terrible mood about it all morning.  I'm unhappy with the outcome, but as a Democrat who started voting in time for the 2000 election, I'm used to the disappointment of my candidates losing.  It happens.  2008 was a huge shock to me, actually.  So while I'm worried about the close Illinois governor's race, and I'm not thrilled about the outcome of our senate race, that's not what bothers me about all of this.  Instead, it's all of the extremely uneducated comments I'm reading and hearing from people.  This is America, where we're free to have our own opinions and free to voice them, but I have a hard time with people who have absolutely no way to back up their opinions with things other than anger, hysteria, conspiracy theories and occasional racism.  How about some facts?

But I digress.  In other election news, thank you all for your votes and thoughts on my upcoming haircut!  I was surprised to see a few votes sneak in for #3 last night and this morning, so I have a lot to think about between now and Saturday.  Like many other races, it's too close to call right now.

I had a totally different outfit planned for today, involving some grey cords and a nice warm sweater.  But this morning while at the gym, I kept seeing ladies walking by (the gym overlooks a pretty busy street and is only a block from an el stop) wearing skirts and dresses, so I decided I wanted to skirt up too.  You might recall that this is a variation on the outfit I wish I had worn about a month ago.  Any colored cardigan I have totally clashed with the tights, so I went with basic black.  

I hope you all have a nice Wednesday!

Dress: Loft
Cardigan: Target
Belt: Target
Tights: New York & Company
Shoes: Tsubo
Brooch: Etsy
Earrings: New York & Company

15 comments:

  1. You are the rocking the neutrals with a punch of color. And these tights and shoes make your legs super long (as they are already quite long).
    Are you wearing black as a sign of mourning?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe a little bit. And sometimes you've just got to wear black. :)

    And I think the gathered skirt (or whatever you'd call it) and the high waist also seems to add to the perceived legginess. My legs are actually not that long... it's an illusion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the black with the pop of purple.

    I am disappointed with the election results too. It looks like my state may be heading towards a recount for governor, which will be tough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Today is a day for wearing black if there ever was one.

    I'm old enough to remember the glee of Jimmy Carter WINNING. A real regular man of the people! He was on our side! And I'm also old enough to remember the terrible disappointment as the Republicans October Surprised him out of office with their standard chicanery.

    What I am not old enough to remember is a USA in which the Republicans were not trying to oppress and divide people, scare them with untruths (Willie Horton anyone? That was my first VOTING election) and keep them from voting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, now the Republicans and Tea Partiers will be on the hot seat, and we'll see what happens....

    I love the Tsubos here!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A day for mourning, indeed. 'Way to retain a teensy bit of hope with the colourful tights and sparkly brooch. Also, Rad's right: you are super leggy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loving those purple tights. I totally needed them this morning! I'm trying to hold off on non-essential purchases until after the New Year--mostly so I can justify some new boots come Dec.1 (yes, I realize the timeline there is wonky)--but lovely tights might just be essential.

    Also, I love your sparkly brooch. I like A-Dubs' suggestion that it's a glimmer of hope in these rather depressing times.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What color was your other sweater? Just curious.
    Let's see, both GOP's running for gov & senate failed here. They each spent approx $150 million of their own money for their campaign and still lost. Can you imagine?

    ReplyDelete
  9. @SU: Way to focus on the positive!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cynthia: Thanks for your perspective! I don't even have a big problem with Republicans per se (I've befriended and dated some over the years, and they were all pretty reasonable), but this new Tea Party movement is just driving me crazy because they're extremists using fear and anger to get people on their side.

    LHdM: Good point, I guess we can only hope that they fail miserably and get voted out in 2012.

    A-Dubs: I didn't even consider that my accessories were doing that, but I am still trying to be optimistic.

    E-Jo: But aren't tights essentials? I bought mine on a 2-for-1 sale at NY&CO (you know they're always having sales) so I think they ended up only being like $5 or $6.

    SU: It was a grayish-blue cowl-neck. One of my favorite colors :) And I do have to laugh at dropping that kind of money and losing anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it! Also sharing the blues, though agree with LHdM--now it'll be easier to pinpoint why things aren't getting done and Democrats should be able to get more credit for managing to push whatever they can through--but I'm an optimist.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes! my students recently asked me why I had described Glenn Beck as a "phenomenon" that makes me shake my head. My answer was that I couldn't understand people who got their opinions from AM radio.

    I like the bold tights.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes! my students recently asked me why I had described Glenn Beck as a "phenomenon" that makes me shake my head. My answer was that I couldn't understand people who got their opinions from AM radio.

    I like the bold tights.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loving those purple tights. I totally needed them this morning! I'm trying to hold off on non-essential purchases until after the New Year--mostly so I can justify some new boots come Dec.1 (yes, I realize the timeline there is wonky)--but lovely tights might just be essential.

    Also, I love your sparkly brooch. I like A-Dubs' suggestion that it's a glimmer of hope in these rather depressing times.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really like the black with the pop of purple.

    I am disappointed with the election results too. It looks like my state may be heading towards a recount for governor, which will be tough.

    ReplyDelete