Friday, November 26, 2010

30 for 30, Day 18: Grey Friday

Happy Black Friday, Stylenation!  Are you out shopping today?  I've braved the crowds before, but this year I'm sitting it out.  Instead, my parents and I are headed out for a very late brunch (they're on their way to pick me up as we speak) and then going to the Chicago History Museum and Lincoln Park Zoo to see the Zoo Lights.  We're definitely steering clear of the shopping madness downtown on the Magnificent Mile (although my mom and I are planning to do some Christmas shopping tomorrow).

I realized this morning that I have yet to wear this sweater in the challenge.  This surprises me, because I really really love this sweater.  So I got to it post-haste.  This is not too different than how I wore it before, but just with a different belt and boots instead of flats.

For those of you in the U.S., how was your Thanksgiving?  Mine was pretty good, and amazingly, everything ran pretty smoothly.  All of the food was finished at about the same time, and thanks to Fella's mom shaking up an endless supply of pomegranate martinis, everyone had a wonderful time with each other.  Both of our turkeys were delicious, but I have to say, the smoked (above, in action) was by far the superior turkey.  The deep-fried was very moist and all, but the smoked had so much flavor.  Sorry, team turkey-fyer.  But this won't stop me from eating a deep-fried turducken at E-Jo's.

How are you spending your Black Friday?  Anyone find any good deals today?

Sweater (item #9): Loft
Jeans (#16): Gap
Boots (item #30): Gift from Fella's mom
Belt: Target

14 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fantastical food and drink extravaganza at TCC, Central Division. Obviously the same excellent food prep genes was responsible for mixing this sweater with that belt--genius! Enjoy the rest of the holiday weekend and the leftover turkey. I used to love leftover turkey and stuffing sandwiches ...

    Let the record show that I will fall off the vegetarian wagon (temporarily) for deep-fried turducken at E-Jo's. Real vegetarians really hate me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like a lovely time! We had a nice dinner at a friend's who lives a little ways up the road from us. Thechemist-coture got up at 2 or 3am to brave Black Friday. I did a little online shopping, but I'm definitely not up for braving the crowds this year.

    I love the top!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds delicious! I went for dinner at a colleague's place which was delicious -- though lacking in pomegranate martinis (which seem like a genius addition).

    I did brave the crowds today briefly, trying to get a head start on my shopping. No luck on that front but I did buy a new TV!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum yum! I wanna go to E-Jo's for deep fried turducken, too. That's so cool that your parents were in town. I hope you guys enjoyed the zoo lights. I like the sweater with the belt. Grey and purple are a great combination.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anne--please publish the recipe for pomegranate martinis! Yep, I'm fond of the smoked turkey...and of that sweater. I like how you have belted it high.

    And happy shopping, tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the shoulder detail on that sweater...and I love that you wore it with a pink belt...so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. More like for that sweater and belt combination!

    Great Thanksgiving here, with leftovers aplenty. D-Med, my favorite is turkey and cranberry sauce sandwiches. Mmmmm.

    Big-crowds Black Friday is my idea of hell, though we did hit a neighborhood toy store that was having a 20% off sale and picked up E's Christmas gift.

    ReplyDelete
  8. CUTE top.. and love it with pink! very cute.. I was at a thanksgiving gathering one year where they deep fried the turkey, they had it in a big pot on a fire outside and TONS of oil.. it was fun and rather different!!

    happy mixing.. I will be watching to see what other outfits you come up with!! am also a mixer!! xoxo J

    ReplyDelete
  9. Man, you are making me wish i'd had thanksgiving at your house! that turkey looks darn good and, what, an endless supply of pomegranate martinis? Sounds awesome.

    Chic on the Cheap

    ReplyDelete
  10. Isn't it nice to discover an unused 30 for 30 item towards the end? It is like you were able to go shopping for something new!
    The sweater is great and I like how you belted it with the pink skinny belt.
    The Auspicious Life

    ReplyDelete
  11. I belong to an anarchistic, revolutionary group of people who make a point NOT to shop on Black Friday. Pomegranate martinis sound fabulous! A couple of those & I couldn't have moved anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Man, you are making me wish i'd had thanksgiving at your house! that turkey looks darn good and, what, an endless supply of pomegranate martinis? Sounds awesome.

    Chic on the Cheap

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anne--please publish the recipe for pomegranate martinis! Yep, I'm fond of the smoked turkey...and of that sweater. I like how you have belted it high.

    And happy shopping, tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  14. CUTE top.. and love it with pink! very cute.. I was at a thanksgiving gathering one year where they deep fried the turkey, they had it in a big pot on a fire outside and TONS of oil.. it was fun and rather different!!

    happy mixing.. I will be watching to see what other outfits you come up with!! am also a mixer!! xoxo J

    ReplyDelete