Sunday, November 28, 2010

30 for 30, Days 19 & 20: Relaxing

Saturday
Happy Sunday, Stylenation.  How has your weekend been?  This long holiday weekend has been non-stop busy, and I'm finally getting a chance to relax at 4:00 on Sunday.  Fella is out in the 'burbs watching the Bears game with some of his man friends, so Jude and I are on the couch watching some Mad Men while waiting for a big, tasty batch of turkey chili to finish cooking.  Yesterday, we had my parents over for breakfast before my mom and I hit the mall for some holiday shopping and got manicures to pamper our Thanksgiving dishpan hands.  Fella, bless his heart, hung out here watching football all day with my dad.  The mall wasn't too crazy, but everything had been picked over on Friday, so I wasn't able to find anything I was looking for.  I did, however, win a $25 to Brighton, which was exciting.  Less exciting was that it had to be used yesterday.  A lot of their jewelry isn't really my style, but I did find a nice pair of earrings (see Sunday's outfit) for $30, so they ended up being about $7 with tax after all was said and done.

Sunday
Today we had brunch before my parents had to head back to Ohio.  These family visits always seem to go by so fast, but I'm visiting Ohio in a couple of weeks, so I'll see them soon.  Jude seems to be taking their absence the hardest, since he had gotten used to my parents feeding him all kinds of table scraps because they can't resist his cuteness.

I got some early Christmas presents from my parents this weekend, including a new coat and shoes, and I'll get around to posting those. But even cooler than presents, my dad found my very old pair of cherry red Doc Martens boots and brought them with.  I bought these sometime in college, so they're probably about 10 years old.  At the time, a $120 pair of boots was a huge purchase for me, but as you can see, they were much-loved so the cost per use was pretty low.  I wore these pretty much everywhere for years, so I'm excited to have them back.  Although I notice they're a pretty big contrast to all of the shoes and boots I own now.

Lastly, a couple of you asked for the recipe for the pomegranate martinis.  Thankfully, Fella's mom left her recipe behind, so I can share it.

Pomegranate Martini
2 oz pomegranate juice
1 oz Absolut Citron
1 oz Cointreau
Splash of sparking water (optional)
Squeeze of lemon (optional)
Pomegranate seeds (for garnish)

Saturday sweater (item #7): Limited
Saturday pants (item #15): Loft
Saturday shoes (item #29): Loft
Saturday scarf: Target
Saturday headband: Hazel Chicago

Sunday cardigan (item #3): Target
Sunday tee (item #11): Gap
Sunday jeans (item #16): Gap
Sunday shoes (item #28): Naturalizer
Sunday brooch: Etsy
Sunday bracelet: Loft
Sunday earrings: Brighton

6 comments:

  1. Man. I gave away all my Doc Martens a couple of years ago and every now and then I regret it. I had a pair that were SILVER! They live with a good friend of mine though, her lifestyle is more Doc-ish than mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I still had some of my Docs! But since I have moved states and countries several times since high school, I don't have any shoes that are older than my grad school days any more.

    I love your Sunday outfit! That blue is great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is great that your Dad found your boots. I remember buying a pair of Birkenstocks in college, which was a huge deal because they were $80.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeay for the Doc Martens! You can totally toughen up some pretty outfits with those boots. I can see them with leggings, tights, dresses and tunics. Also, during slushy weather.
    I also am loving the Sunday outfit. You are a blogging machine woman! You're 2/3 done with the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. sounds like you had quite a wondrful thanksgiving/
    really love the purple swater!

    Chic on the Cheap

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is great that your Dad found your boots. I remember buying a pair of Birkenstocks in college, which was a huge deal because they were $80.

    ReplyDelete