Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Utilitarian outfit: to thrift


To thrift, originally uploaded by Cohabitating_Closet.

I'm off to go thrift some summery tops and shorts. I always run to the dress section at the local Salvation Army, and I will again today, but I find in mornings that I lack tops to go with skirts. And I hope to find lightweight pants to turn into shorts, so I can control the inseam. I have a purpose, and dollar amount, and I'm pretty sure there's half off tags on Wednesday. This outfit is meant to compensate for the lack of changing rooms, as I can just slip stuff off and on. I threw the belt on because this outfit was boring me to death without it (I'll take it off to try on the pile). I usually have a huge armload which I lug to the closet full length mirror. I once went and just took my dress of (with tights and under clothes on still) because my brief stint in the military* killed any shame about clothelessness I might have. Do you guys have thrift strategies in places with no changing rooms?

Tunic: American Apparel
Belt: via Presence, (Andersonville, Chicago)
Flats: Steve Madden, thrifted and resoled
Leggings: Targets
Purse: Fossil, secondhand from my grandma

16 comments:

  1. We are the same person. I was just lamenting how few tops I have for summer wear - loads of dresses, and bunches of great skirts ... but few tops!

    And I wear the same type of outfit when thrifting. Tunic, leggings, flats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you look GREAT for your thrifting! I wish we could see the belt detail better - it looks black in the picture, but I know that's not the case :) I hope you find what you're looking for today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no dressing-room-free strategies to share, but I love that outfit! You'll class up the place for sure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. As Joey Russo would say "Woah!" You look much cuter than I ever do to go thrifting! I feel the same way about shirts, I have a lot of t-shirts and plain tanks, but no blouses or shirts with pleats or patterns or ruffles or details.

    ReplyDelete
  5. leggings :) I think you got the perfect thrifting outfit down. I also go woth my sister who serves as a shield from viewers if need be...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your colored leggings and I think this is the smartest thrifting outfit ever! It will be so easy to try stuff on.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Total agreement with all above - you look rad, Rad. Skirts are always key for no-changeroom thrifting. As is a willingness to be more naked than usual in semi-public arenas ;)

    'Just went out yesterday on a similar mission, and returned with only 2 tops (gah!). 'Will try, again, today at another place.

    'Looking forward to seeing what you find!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also opt for skirts so I can try pants and skirts on under my skirts (preferably a-line skirt). And tank tops layered under what I'm wearing - or as what I'm wearing!

    You look lovely. I hope you found some great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with everyone above. You look awesome! And the expression on your face in this photo suggests that you are ready to kick ass and take names. Hopefully you managed the shopping equivalent of that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wait, did you say the military? The naked military?

    ReplyDelete
  11. DM: I will share more later, when I have more patience with our scanner. I was planning a post on memorial day but got distracted. With grading.

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE this. Actually, it's the first colored leggings outfit I have really liked. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your thrifting outfit! The belt is fab.

    My thrifting uniform consists of tunics or jersey dresses with leggings as well, and flats are a must. Our Salvation Army is located in a really dodgy area, so I usually tend to wear something really casual, something that doesn't make me stand out.

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVE this. Actually, it's the first colored leggings outfit I have really liked. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree with everyone above. You look awesome! And the expression on your face in this photo suggests that you are ready to kick ass and take names. Hopefully you managed the shopping equivalent of that.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Total agreement with all above - you look rad, Rad. Skirts are always key for no-changeroom thrifting. As is a willingness to be more naked than usual in semi-public arenas ;)

    'Just went out yesterday on a similar mission, and returned with only 2 tops (gah!). 'Will try, again, today at another place.

    'Looking forward to seeing what you find!

    ReplyDelete