Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Color me timid



Yesterday, the lovely A-Dubs of In Professorial Fashion asked for suggestions on how to wear her adorbs coral and brown sandals. There were awesome comments, but I had nothing to offer, because that much color frightens me. I had to refer to the brilliant color wheel at Academichic, but this puzzles me too. Neutrals with a pop is about all I can manage.
I tried to be more daring today, starting out with a blue-green shirt, but I got hot just trying to get dressed, so I opted for a lighter linen button down instead. I have a meeting today with a cool dude* in the department, and I'm going to try to convince him to let me present my research at his center, while trying to avoid spilling Greek salads down my front.
So the boldest I could get today was the dark purple belt with the green skirt, which I've worn before (mostly because Anne told me to buy them together, as the skirt gaps at the waist), and a scarf with green and blue accents. It's made of artificial fibers so it may come off soon. But it's held down with a mushroom scarf pin, which I think is very necessary sometimes in life.

And although it is already a sweltering 82 degrees outside, I am wearing microfishnet. Because I hate shaving my legs. Is that too much information, blogging buddies?

(In case you were wondering, that is Lula by my feet. She is depressed when it is this hot out, and the little aggressive kitten is not helping. And she doesn't let us brush her, so one of us has to hold her down and while the other brushes her. She is def a "two person" cat.)

*This colleague, of Mediterrean origin, manages to look dignified in shorts and Italian loafers. Over the age of 50. How does he do it?

Shirt: H&M
Belt: Presence, Chicago
Skirt: Tulle, via Presence, Chicago
Microfishnets: via Daffy's
Scarf: Ebay
Sunglasses: DKNY via Mom
Wedges: Aerosoles, thrifted

17 comments:

  1. You look fantastic! The green skirt is just gorgeous on you!

    I also don't love shaving my legs, but didn't think to bring fishnets on this trip. Argh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is lovely, and just the right level of colour! I feel your pain with the fishnets, it's been hot for pretty much two weeks straight here (v. unusual) and I'm sick of hair removal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree: you look adorbs! And that mushroom pin is awesome.

    Good luck keeping everything on in the heat - and I'm sure you'll be very convincing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you look great in bright color! i love that kelly green skirt, and how you wore the scarf. i know how you feel though- i am a total color phobe. today i'm wearing a bright blue skirt AND shirt and i feel obscene. i had to borrow a beige sweater from someone in the office. oh well. ~joelle

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look great! The shape of the skirt and the close fit of the blouse are really flattering on your figure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree - you look awesome. That pin is super cute! And fishnets are a necessity- when it's too hot for tights but you need some kind of hoisery for to look professional.


    Lula is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Man, I almost forgot about that skirt and how awesome it is! Great outfit! I think you could get away with wearing yellow with that skirt too, if you ever wanted to try a non-neutral.

    And I know what you mean about not wanting to shave, but it just bugs me if I don't.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this - everything about it. That green is dark enough that I would feel comfortable in it, too. Plus it's really flattering on you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I absolutely love the green skirt! I was immediately drawn to it. I think the tights are fine ;) Although I'd be too hot to wear them...go you!

    Enter to win a Lime Ricki swimsuit!
    clothed much, a modest fashion blog

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this outfit -- the whole silhouette is very chic, and the scarf kicks it up a notch.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am in love with all the details, the fishnets, the purple belt, the scarf and pin. This outfit is very well done. Really, the whole thing is beyond adorbs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That! green! skirt! is! fabulous!

    I hate shaving my legs, too. Except I'm not as considerate of the universe as you are, as I rarely cover up with tights. :)

    - Anne-Marie

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really like this...especially the belt on the green skirt. That's a fab skirt! I can also see it in winter with chunky knee socks and clogs!


    ♥ V

    http://www.gritandglamour.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pretty skirt - the shape is perfect on you! That mushroom pin is awesome too! I'm a color junkie, sometimes I think I need to tone it down so I look my age!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really like this...especially the belt on the green skirt. That's a fab skirt! I can also see it in winter with chunky knee socks and clogs!


    ♥ V

    http://www.gritandglamour.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Pretty skirt - the shape is perfect on you! That mushroom pin is awesome too! I'm a color junkie, sometimes I think I need to tone it down so I look my age!

    ReplyDelete