Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Experimental


Today's post is an experimental outfit, that I will wear around the house and neighborhood, but I don't know how much further. I wouldn't even wear this on the train. You see, I got these shoes (off the sage advice of the lovely blogging community) to match the crazy dress for the wedding this weekend.

These shoes are obviously cooler than me. They were also a wee bit too tall for my comfort, but luckily, Sam the shoe man a block from our apartment shaved off about 3/8" from the heel for a mere $12 (Thanks for saving my ankles man).
The problem is that I don't want them to be one trick ponies. Even though they were discounted and I had a coupon, I'd like to be able to wear them (relatively) regularly. But the only outfit I can think of with these shoes is skinny jeans, dark top, and blazer. Maybe darker denim jacket. I tried them with all my summery dresses and skirts, and they look a little too hard. Basically, they are a sandal bootie version of a motorcycle jacket, but unlike the motorcycle jacket, which can balance out frilly cutesy, they are more like a little harder edged afterthought. So I need help. And also, I want to challenge myself to wear these shoes at least 5 more times this month, not including the wedding.
Angie at Youlookfab had this post yesterday about which outfits would you wear if you were younger. There were really interesting comments, and I thought about this a lot. There's no reason for me not to wear "younger" clothes in the summer. My body hasn't changed since I was 21 (appearance wise. Some of that stuff is softer. I prefer to think of it age creating a "cuddle" premium) and most days, I don't have to represent myself as a competent professor.
But at the same time, since I've gotten older, I am drawn to lower hemlines and more modest looks.
When I was in high school in the 1990s, I was the queen of midriff baring. Well, maybe I did it less than others but this was the one sort of more daring form of dress that I would do confidently. It's one of the positive trade offs for having a longer torso, although I didn't realize that at the time (I just thought my abs rocked). These studded black sandals are transporting me back, temporarily, to that faraway moment when I showed off my belly so much that my mother yelled at me for jeopardizing my future fertility.*
Are there any looks that you feel "too old" for but kinda maybe want to wear?

Lula says hello, and that she would like very much if that pesky kitten went away forever. Sorry, Lulz, but he's gonna be your play mate for the rest of your life.

*Evidently, Koreans believed that ladies should cover their midsections and keep it warm all the time. My great aunt yelled at me about this in Korea too.

Shirt: old GAP long sleeved T, chopped up by me
Skirt: Uniqlo, thrifted
Necklace, from a fruit basket chain
Sandals: Tahari, via DSW

17 comments:

  1. Those sandals would be great with a black floral print dress, or cropped cargos and a tee, or shorts and a silky blouse. You can totally work them in for five wearings!

    And I love 'em with this ensemble. Here's hoping it makes it to the train someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those shoe are awesome! You could rock them with your skinny jeans and then a blousey/soft top.

    As for the dressing too young.Hmm I think about this a lot. I see a lot of 'hipster' girls my age (I am 26) wearing these super frilly babydoll dresses- I mean they look like little girl dresses - many of them probablly are just vintage young girls dresses. Not that I want to wear this look- but I feel like I really have to be carefulwhat I wear in order to avoid looking too young- at least in what I wear to work.
    I am petite and generally softspoken- and in my short work experience out of college I have had bosses( yes bosses, male and female ) call me sweetie and hun. Co workers refer to me as teeny, cutie, etc. While I wear whatever I want at home - at work I try to wear pencil skirts and blazers esp if there is a meeting. I don't know if it works but It's got to be better than a frilly dress ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I second all of Sal's suggestions, especially the short-and-silky-blouse combo. Or what about your pending jumpsuit? Is the material substantial enough to hold up against these bad girls?

    In terms of clothes I feel too old to wear, I've started to suspect that I've outgrown camisole tops, and even sundresses with thin straps. Somehow, I think of that look as best on more youthful shoulders and chests, even though it's one of the best ways to stay cool in stifling summer heat.

    I kind of love your story about midriff baring and your families' responses to same. My mother tried other tactics as I think she suspected I'd wear things MORE if I knew she hated them. Until the day in the early nineties when I tried to leave the house in a tube-top-as-mini-skirt and matching halter top. Then there was some yelling and some "go show your father that outfit - if he says you can wear it, then fine!" He yelled, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a good story about the bare midriff. I like this outfit. With a midriff-covering tee shirt, it would look completely appropriate even for (gasp!) someone in her 30s. I think the shoes would also look great with a straight black linen skirt and some kind of tee-like top--they'd give a little edge to the elegance. Frilly isn't the only way to soften these.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually really like those shoes! I, the oh-so-adventurous one, would probably wear it for nights out. I don't know how else I would incorporate it for a day look other than skinnies and a tee like you said. Though it is also nice to know you'll have great shoes to wear to a night out when you need them!

    *I'm pretty sure I've been brainwashed by my mom about that. Now whenever my stomach hurts I immediately think I need to get my heat pad. ...and I do...because somehow it does soothe my stomach..

    clothed much, a modest fashion blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are great shoes, and I think they would be cute with a floral dress like Sal suggested or a solid dress with colored tights.

    I don't think much about age when choosing my outfits, but I do wish I had the figure to pull off a cropped top or a romper. Some of the vintage rompers I see are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are fun shoes! I love them with the denim skirt, and they look great with skinny jeans too.

    You were much more trendy than me in the 90's. When I wasn't stuck in my school uniform, I typically went with jeans, cargo pants or overalls (I know they look terrible, but they were so comfy that I'm sad that they're so out of fashion now), a t-shirt and some kind of wooly sweater/hoodie/flannel shirt. It was really unflattering. And it's no wonder I didn't start dating until I was 20 :)

    The only thing I'd want to rock if I was younger (and had the legs for it!) is shorter skirts and dresses. I keep finding skirts and dresses that I really really love, but they're way too short for a tall girl that's nearing 30. I remember when I started working I had all these great shorter pencil skirts. They were awesome, and I felt so hot in them. Of course, now I'm appalled that retailers are making things so absurdly short!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would wear those shoes with just about anything. And I'll join the chorus and say they would look Rad with your pending jumpsuits.

    I definitely go for longer hemlines now than I did a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love these shoes and I agree with everyone's sugestions. These with a pair of black cigarette pants and a loose tunic-y top would be awesome (right now I am imagining them in my own wardrobe and with clothes I have in it. You should totally come over.).

    My mother said that in high school I dressed like I had just risen fully formed from my laundry pile. I wore a lot of clothes all at the same time. I think she was probably relieved that I wasn't baring anything even if she did think I resembled a hobo. I also went through a phase in my early 20s where I would go out dancing in whatever random thrifted costume I felt like wearing: cheerleader, fairy wings, etc. It wasn't to be sexy--and it wasn't sexy, mostly just silly--it was just because I felt like it. This is something I would find totally obnoxious in another human being now but I still secretly like the idea of a costume worn for no reason without any irony.

    ReplyDelete
  10. #1 the shoes: you can wear them with anything. They are a great black heeled sandal. Do not over-analyze them.

    #2 too old vs my closet: my whole closet is too young for me. The only thing I've changed is the length of my skirts/dresses

    back to the shoes...you can borrow my motorcycle vest that I'm wearing today. It would go perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ugh! Beverly is me, sorry, used wrong account.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think these shoes can work with almost anything - even the frilly stuff. To me they would make something that felt a little to girlie more of a bada$$ quotient :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those shoes are HOT. Listen to all the advice, and wear them more!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those shoes are fab! I'd say just keep the rest of the outfit uncluttered and let the shoes be the star, like you've done here. They'd be great with something as simple as shorts (maybe denim cutoffs if you're feeling sassy!) and a tank top, even. Just think of them as sandals on steroids.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think these shoes can work with almost anything - even the frilly stuff. To me they would make something that felt a little to girlie more of a bada$$ quotient :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those shoes are fab! I'd say just keep the rest of the outfit uncluttered and let the shoes be the star, like you've done here. They'd be great with something as simple as shorts (maybe denim cutoffs if you're feeling sassy!) and a tank top, even. Just think of them as sandals on steroids.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those shoes are HOT. Listen to all the advice, and wear them more!

    ReplyDelete