Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Fight for your right (to have a holiday)



I am evidently loving these boat shoes. I wore them a few more times this weekend. While I had intentions of leaving the house more, the stack of grading wasn't going to do itself, so this was comfy and good for marathon sitting sessions. And to start answering emails from students confused about their grades. (I am bummed, however, that I never made it over to the Pop-up Swap that Jesse.anne.o graciously posted).
I am officially taking time off between Wednesday and next Monday. I'm not going anywhere but I need to mentally shut off from work. I really do love my students and my research, but to be good at it, I need to take a short break. In the meantime, I will take walks, get the bike fixed, do some summer cleaning, maybe thrift a bit, get my head in order, and spend time with friends. While I do have actual out of town summer trips planned, I find that they are fun but aren't exactly the best way to recharge. Are you folks taking some dedicated "recharge" days in the summer? (Americans, compared to folks other comparable countries, take the least number of vacation days, even when they are part of their benefits packages. This is regrettable for a number of reason. The Universal Declaration of Human Rights includes that we have the right to leisure and rest, which includes periodic holidays with pay. Article 24.)
Hope you had a great holiday weekend. (our most exciting endeavor was the vegan Chicago style hotdogs, which you can see pictures of here).*

Tshirt: thrifted
Jeans: Levi's via Dillards, skinnied by me
Belt: Gap
Boat shoes: Eastlands, via Alamo Shoes (Chicago)

*I'm not a vegan, although I was for about a year. I hate factory farming and don't digest meat that well personally. Blokey is vegetarian, and I consider myself a solidaristic flexitarian.

9 comments:

  1. Love those stripes and the exaggerated v-neck.

    As a confirmed introvert, I HAVE to take some recharge days once in a while. Otherwise? Explosion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice stuff here, fashionwise and vacation-talkwise. Also, is that kitty getting ready to attack a boat shoe?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those shoes continue to look great :) Enjoy your staycation! I always take a few days in the summer to do stuff like get a pedicure, shop and go to the beach. I don't understand why more people don't take advantage of the time off. There's a lot of annoying conspiracy theorists at my office who are positive that the company will hold it against you if you use all your time off. I get something like 6 weeks this year, and I'm taking every last minute of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute top. I always try to use up all my vacation days every year, but that hasn't exactly been the culture at most of my workplaces.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, going on "vacation" out of town is always so much work, it's not relaxing at all due to the planning and packing before and after!I love the cuffed pants with the boat shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would KILL for more vacation time, even though I do get a healthy amount now. I feel awful for some, my sister never gets any vacation

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the shirt...orange and white stripes--so fresh and summery.

    I've really gotten into taking time off just to stay home. While I like to travel, it's not all that restful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was a fun swap but there will be others!

    Holy moly - I want those hot dogs so badly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those shoes continue to look great :) Enjoy your staycation! I always take a few days in the summer to do stuff like get a pedicure, shop and go to the beach. I don't understand why more people don't take advantage of the time off. There's a lot of annoying conspiracy theorists at my office who are positive that the company will hold it against you if you use all your time off. I get something like 6 weeks this year, and I'm taking every last minute of it.

    ReplyDelete