Monday, June 7, 2010

Black out



This week, I am participating in Sal of AlreadyPretty's Summer Black Out Challenge. From Monday, June 7- Friday, June 12, I won't wear any black clothes, with some caveats. Participants can wear black in a pattern (as long it's not the primary color), in workout clothes, or in accessories. Before I started reading style and fashion blogs, I only wore black tops and blue jeans or a black skirt, so this is good challenge for me.

my "uniform", circa 1999-2007 (note the early Western obsession)

The easy way out of this, however, is to use brown instead of black as my basic color. I have recently become a fan of brown, and this is definitely a Blokey influence. This is a slightly better photo of the top, a recently thrifted find:

I swear this a dark brown, though it looks black even in the close-up

I also thrifted these seersucker pants with huge baggy legs, and cut them into what I hope are work appropriate shorts. (Not for teaching or meetings, but for wandering outside my office in our building, the almost windowless former shoe factory in midtown). Hopefully, if I run into a student who asks, "Puhfessah, is there anything I can do to raise my grade?" I look authoritative enough for them to understand that no means no. (I don't meant to sound harsh, but I give them loads of opportunities to do help their grades before the end of the semester. By summer, I'm not so generous).


Thanks for the birthday wishes. So far, my 30s have been pretty rad. Being on a mental health staycation probably helped.

Shirt: BR, thrifted
Jacket: Gap, gifted
Belt: Not Just Vintage (Gorilla glued back together by me)
Shorts: BR, thrifted and shortened
Shoes: Aerosoles, thrifted

7 comments:

  1. Classy! I'm referring to both today's outfit and the wester-inspired outfit of yore. I love the scarf with the scoop neck t-shirt; very Roman Holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow. This is a difficult challenge! But you look great and I think you will be able to meet the challenge of minimal black.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You rule, Rad! I'm so excited to see a reformed black-aholic playing along.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this shorts look! Great job on keeping it neutral but not using black :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh I love the shorts and the thin red belt! That old picture of you is pretty funny!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Making brilliant shorts out of less-than-brilliant pants: what a Rad plan, Rad. Also, these are plenty authoritative.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Making brilliant shorts out of less-than-brilliant pants: what a Rad plan, Rad. Also, these are plenty authoritative.

    ReplyDelete