Sunday, September 11, 2011

A Beautiful Weekend in the Neighborhood

One thing that I absolutely love about my neighborhood is that there's so much to do within walking distance, you really don't ever have to leave.  I haven't been out of my neighborhood since I was downtown on Thursday night.  It's possible that I've mentioned this before, but Fella and I live in Chicago's German neighborhood.  This weekend was German American Fest, the unofficial close of Chicago's summer festival season.  Though I'm sad that this signals the end of summer, it's always a fun weekend.

Oktoberfest Wear

Friday night we met some friends at the German Fest for a few steins of beer, some brats and plenty of polka. This is my German Fest summer-to-fall transition outfit. It was only a little chilly but raining on and off, which is always a pain to dress for.

Cardigan, Tank and Shoes: Target
Skirt: Old Navy
Scarf: Embellish Chicago
Hat: Kohl's (Fella's)

Parade Wear

On Saturday we walked a whole 2 blocks down the street to attend the 46th Annual Von Stueben Day Parade.

Dress: New York & Company
Earrings: Alixandria
Bag: Coach
Sandals: Chaco
Sunglasses: Loft

German CPD Band

The parade included plenty of marching bands. Above is a band made up of German members of the Chicago Police Department.

Model A (or T?)

This is members of one of Chicago's many German societies riding down the street in a classic Ford (a Model T or A, I think).

Polkaholics

And no German parade could be complete without an appearance by Chicago's own Polkaholics.

Neighborhood Walking Tour

Tee: Loft
Skirt: Old Navy
Sandals: Chaco, as above
Bag: Coach
Bottle: Camelbak

On Sunday, I went on a walking tour through my neighborhood.  The tour was of the neighborhood's many historic, beautiful churches, and concluded with a 09/11 memorial at St. Benedict's.  St. Ben's also just completed a restoration project on their bell tower (you can see the scaffolding on the tower in the background if you look closely), so today was the first time the bells were rung in about 6 years.  Above, I'm in the Coonley Rock Garden, with St. Ben's just over my shoulder.  This is the first outfit photo that neither Fella nor my Gorillapod has taken for me, and I think the gal in my tour group who took this did a pretty good job.  I should find more random people to take my picture when I go out.  Or not.

Last but not least, since I'm totally becoming that person who dresses up her dogs, takes pictures and blogs about it, here's the dog sporting 2 new infinity scarves that I picked up this weekend.  Jude's silver scarf is from Loft, and Meko's leopard print scarf is from Limited.  Hopefully they'll let me wear them sometime too.

Dog divas

5 comments:

  1. You are so lucky you've moved into such a fantastic neighborhood! The fest sounds like a lot of fun, and the weather sounds really crumby. I wish it could just stay summer for another few months.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a lot of fun! I've spent a lot of time in Germany - lived there for about 6 months. Parades were very popular where I lived. I think your dogs look great in the scarves :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! So much fun! I love German food but can never find a place here to go to! I grew up in places where one needed a car to get around, but now, I love exploring by walking! I didn't even know there was a German neighborhood in Chicago! Will have to visit there next time I go. 

    Glad to hear the gel liner worked out for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope your dogs share!! Looks like you had quite a fun weekend...perfect weather for the festivals!  Love the dress you wore saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks fun.  I like living in a walkable neighborhood with lots to do.

    ReplyDelete