Monday, September 13, 2010

Brightly Colored Versatility


A couple of weeks ago, I wore this blue dress to cheer myself up out of a funk.  I'm happy to report that I'm in a much better mood today, so I've remixed that dress and shoe combination with a bright pop of color.  I found this cardigan on clearance at Target over the weekend (I guess it's not a fall color, yet it seems absolutely perfect for fall if you ask me), and I do have a hard time passing up a good deal on something cute.  The cool thing about this cardigan is that the purpleish/pinkish color seems to go with everything in my closet.  I came up with 12 outfits that include the cardigan without really even trying.

After popping in to Target on Saturday, my fella and I had lunch with friends at our neighborhood Kyrgyzstani restaurant, and on the walk back to our apartment ended up buying all new furniture.  It's pretty exciting, given that we'd both been using mostly hand-me-down furniture and cheap post-college purchases.  But this means that my clothes-shopping habit will be on a mandatory and much-needed break.  This comes at a good time, given how tempted I always seem to get by new fall clothes.  Plus, this will give me a chance to wear and remix everything that's been hiding in my closet, with the help of versatile pieces such as a bright-colored cardigan or neutral dress.

What piece(s) do you own that seem to go with everything?

Dress & Cardigan: Target
Belt: Target
Shoes: Tsubo
Necklace: Ann Taylor
Watch: Anne Klein, gift

Edited to add: Jude Monday photo-crash

16 comments:

  1. I think that purple color is great for fall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YEAY! new furniture! That's great - I know evertime we replace a hand-me-down or college-era piece I feel a little bit more "grown up".

    That cardigan is a great find especially if you can mix it up into 12 different outfits!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's fall like. What season would that pretty cardigan be? Winter?
    That is a versatile dress. I need one after my darn shopping ban.
    Oh, and the furniture is awesome. You should post pics when you've got them all settled!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm pretty sure that a drapey purple jersey cardigan I've worn a couple of times recently goes with everything. I don't know why that's not a fall color, I can't wait until it's cool enough to wear my magenta wool cardigan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Something cute, on sale, and able to work for 12 different outfits, sounds like a steal!!!

    Chic on the Cheap

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too think purple is a perfect fall color. I love your color combination here. Also, yay for new furniture! I totally get the excitement on that one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with LyddieGal: 12 imagined remixes is an impressive statistic. In fact, I think it might qualify the purpley-pinky cardigan for either "wardrobe workhorse" or "neutral" status. Once you've decided which it shall be, I shall adjust the record accordingly.

    Also, you look great in this dress and in these colours, I (still) covet those BA shoes, and where is Jude?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yep, 12 outfits! I just made a list of the 12, and I suspect there's more in my closet that I can't remember off the top of my head.

    But does that make this a neutral or a workhorse? Hmmm. I don't know about purple/pink as a neutral, so let's call it a workhorse.

    Cynthia - since you have a similar shade that matches everything, what do you think? Neutral or workhorse?

    A-Dubs: You can actually see Jude's snout on the left-hand side of the picture, but I added another shot of him. He's tickled that he has a fan base. Will FR be making any appearances over at IPF soon?

    La Fille, Rad & KB: I'm pretty excited about the grown-upness of this purchase, given that the only other adult thing I've bought is a car, and I gave that away last month. It's being delivered in a couple of weeks, so I'll post pictures once it's all settled, and before a certain dog can cover it with fur.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anne, I think I have the same cardigan, bought at Target, also on clearance. Not to kick the dead horse, but the color seems perfect for fall and winter--with brown in fall, especially, as it can impart a much-needed jolt that's not too contrasty. I love it with your ink-colored dress that fights blues with blue.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, I would have to say, either of my drapey purple cardigan or of the magenta-y wool that's similar to yours, they are workhorses, but definitely not neutral. Purple and magenta do not live happily with every color, it's just that they live happily with many colors that I happen to wear and like.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cost per wear will make such a versatile piece so completely worth it! I love that shade on you! Mandatory shopping bans suck, but new furniture does not!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You had me at new furniture. Sweet!
    Purple aka the color of the season is so very versatile. Good score.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Holy crap. I'm going to Target tomorrow. This cardigan is awesome and who am I to turn down a clearance price? I continue to love this dress.

    Also, congrats on the new furniture! I just bought my very first new-to-me couch and I've never felt more like a grown-up.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great color combo! Purple and navy is one of my favs. Super cute and flattering outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Holy crap. I'm going to Target tomorrow. This cardigan is awesome and who am I to turn down a clearance price? I continue to love this dress.

    Also, congrats on the new furniture! I just bought my very first new-to-me couch and I've never felt more like a grown-up.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anne, I think I have the same cardigan, bought at Target, also on clearance. Not to kick the dead horse, but the color seems perfect for fall and winter--with brown in fall, especially, as it can impart a much-needed jolt that's not too contrasty. I love it with your ink-colored dress that fights blues with blue.

    ReplyDelete