Saturday, March 6, 2010

Beautiful day in the neighborhood

This is one of my favorite spots in my neighborhood. It's close to a vaguely busy intersection, that lacks a light, and no one in this neighborhood respects any traffic signals.
I convinced the cohabitator to run errands around the neighborhood, which is a mostly ungentrified section of Bedford Stuyvesant, in northwest central Brooklyn. While lacking the amenities of some of the more "established" neighborhoods close by, the Rastafarian influence means that we can buy soy cheese, textured vegetable protein, and hippie stuff a couple blocks from our house (can you tell we're hosting vegans for dinner tonight?). It gets a bit loud, the folks can be very colorful, but I do genuinely like where I live.
Walking on Bedford village street on a Saturday afternoon takes elbows and chutzpah, so taking a photo by my favorite red wall (just down the block from our apartment) was a challenge. We'll figure out a better spot. I didn't realize how much this early March sun would totally bleach out the details of the outfit. Maybe facing south next time.

The pearl snap button shirt with the full skirt makes me feel like a square dancer. Luckily, I loved square dancing when I was in gym class. I'm going to be a very Western themed old lady some day.

Western men's shirt: borrowed from Blokey
Black jersey skirt: American Apparel, from clothing swap
Black slouch moto books: Palladium, $150
Tights: Target, $5
Purple sun glasses: Macy's (ages ago), $35
Grey pleather belt: free from an ebay purchase
Denim trucker jacket, Levis.com, $27

4 comments:

  1. I loved gym class square dancing too :) You look so much cuter than I ever do while running errands! Once again, you make neutrals look just fab. Great outfit, and nice new haircut!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to live around there! Very close, I think... certainly I was only a stone's throw (1 block) from Bedford ave. Then I moved up north.

    Still jealous of your swapped goods :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was so beautiful in the city yesterday! I'm trying to enjoy all of the nice weather while I can! I love the Western feel of this outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to live around there! Very close, I think... certainly I was only a stone's throw (1 block) from Bedford ave. Then I moved up north.

    Still jealous of your swapped goods :)

    ReplyDelete