Tuesday, April 20, 2010

"Formal" suit directive!

I got an email reminding me that I had agreed to participate in a recruitment evening yesterday (for today). I asked (because I think I knew the answer) what the dress code was. I was told "formal." Oh, the most dreaded wardrobe designation for this academic. I hate hate hate my proper interview suit. It is so 2007, and the skirt is a relic of my past habit of always buying up a size. The waist band does not even sits about 2 inches above my hips. What was I thinking? (It was good enough to give me my job offers, I suppose).
I spent last night trying to figure out ways to fake a suit, but I don't want to piss off the administration. (This included an Annie Hall like get up made from pieces of Blokey's wedding suit). I thought about bloggers who have posted on making a standard corporate suit more creative, such as Sal or Gina. But since I don't work in a corporate setting, I haven't invested in a lot of these pieces. Plus, I have no jewelry to speak of.
But at the last minute, I mashed together a jersey dress from a previous outfit, followed Angie's advice of rolling up sleeves, and added colored tights. Since the skirt is too big and lined, it works OK with the dress. I still feel like a tool, but a slightly more comfy and relaxed one.
Would you trust your bright child's higher education with this peacock colored lady?



Suit jacket and skirt: Banana Republic (2007)
Jersey Dress (worn as a shirt): Uniqlo
Tights: Hue
Shoes: Reaction/Kenneth Cole (2005)

6 comments:

  1. I don't know what 2007 really looks like compared to 2010, but I like your suit! It looks a lot better than my 2004 interview suit! Very put together, and I love the details like the tights and the sleeves :)

    How often do you need to dress formal like this? Maybe it's just the accessorizer in me, but I feel like there's just something missing at the neckline. Maybe a short scarf? Or maybe it'd be worthwhile to invest in a necklace for such occasions? I bought myself a nice looking set of faux pearls back when we had a dress code for about $20-$30 (if I can find them, they're yours, but that doesn't look likely - argh, the joy of moving 6 times over 4 years!). They're versatile since they go with pretty much everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! The rolled sleeves and belt make it look comfortable, rather than too stiff. The blue and purple are different from what you usually see with a suit, yet they're not too bright, so still somewhat conservative. I think this is a great suit look!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm curious - why does wearing a suit or dressing formally make you feel uncomfortable?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the compliments.
    Michelle, that's a good question. I am quite anti-authoritarian and dislike things that are very conventional, so I often find suits stifling and boring. While I appreciate those who wear suits in creative and unique ways (like Gina), I prefer to have more options. Also, I hate head-to-toe woven outfits. They quite literally limit one's freedom of movement.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the compliments.
    Michelle, that's a good question. I am quite anti-authoritarian and dislike things that are very conventional, so I often find suits stifling and boring. While I appreciate those who wear suits in creative and unique ways (like Gina), I prefer to have more options. Also, I hate head-to-toe woven outfits. They quite literally limit one's freedom of movement.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this! The rolled sleeves and belt make it look comfortable, rather than too stiff. The blue and purple are different from what you usually see with a suit, yet they're not too bright, so still somewhat conservative. I think this is a great suit look!

    ReplyDelete