Today's the almost last day of spring break. Along with many other side projects (bread, grading 100 undergraduate midterms- all essay, of course, breaking in the new wedding gifts, failing to write the thank you cards), I worked on McCall's 5211, which I bought from an ebay seller. I found this silk crepe type dark pink/purple material on sale (at Modeani), and figured that it could be used for a dress or maybe this awesome gathered skirt that Gertie posted (including accessible tutorial).
I made the "B" dress because the sleeves are shorter and because it has more pocket awesomeness going on. Trying on the mostly finished product, I see that this is probably not the best fabric. I need to decide whether to invest more time into making a probably impractical garment fit better, or scrap it and chalk it up to a learning experiences (I have a lot of these). The pattern is a size 14, and while my measurements fit the size's measurements in theory, it's possible that the fabric has too much body or that the measurements translate differently than in 1959. I'll have to read more books on adjusting fit, of which I've found many at the Brooklyn Public Library online catalogue. I tried to follow instructions online for tissue fitting and adjustments, but it's still somewhat of a mystery.
Whatever, happens, it was loads of fun. At the least, I may cut off the, put nice pockets on the skirt, made some belt loops, and run around town in an killer gathered skirt.
Silky crepey pink material: Modeani's, NYC
Footless tights: Target
Shoes: Me Too