Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Curly's gal


Curly's, originally uploaded by Cohabitating_Closet.

This post doesn't reflect what I'm wearing today, because I am, like Dorky Medievalist and La Historiadora de Moda, Butt-in-Chair mode (and must wear what best suits this function, which is shorts, leggings, and knit top). I recently thrifted this dress, but it was a size 18/20. I thought it had promise. But it did look like this:



DSCF4208, originally uploaded by Cohabitating_Closet.

Please excuse the crazy hair. I started working on this when I'd come home from teaching, mentally exhausted but wanting something to do to relax. I was inspired by the skills of Sew I Thought and New Dress a Day. (This project is almost finished. I need to reinforce and finish the seams, and fix the seam of one sleeve).

When I showed this to Blokey, he said that it was just a little "too special" to wear in public. (He has since changed his mind). Then he called me "Curly's gal," because it looked like something that the character "Curly's wife" in the Gary Sinise/John Malkovich "Of Mice and Men" might have worn. (I couldn't find any pictures of her, but I did find regional theatre productions' images. He might be on to something):



I didn't know what I was doing, so like an idiot, I took the sleeves and the collar off. I probably didn't need to take the sleeves off, and reattaching them was a learning experience. The bust curves were a lot lower than mine so I ended up pulling up the shoulder seam, but this ended up making the sash about 1 inch higher than my natural waist. In addition, some of the seam ripping did cause a bit of fabric puckering and the reattachment of the collar (I made it a big less huge) remains a tad awkward. Luckily, I don't care that much.


DSCF4246, originally uploaded by Cohabitating_Closet.

Good thing my ma doesn't do the internet (she pays Baby Sis to do her social media networking for her businesses), because she'd tell me to stand straighter. Damnit, she's right. Note to self: stretch every hour while butt in chair.
Today is gloomy and cool- perfect BIC weather.

Also, thanks for your great responses to the "Fashions in Higher Ed" segment. I really enjoyed hearing everyone's perspective, especially those who did not go on to careers related to their "discipline." I have many opinions about "disciplines" too but that's for another day (and probably a different venue). Happy Tuesday, all!

Dress: Thrifted, DIY altered
Boots: Mia
Leggings: Target

13 comments:

  1. Wow! I am so impressed by your skills and the ambition that led you to take the risk of altering this cute dress in the first place. It looks absolutely adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto. Such skills you have, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the head's up - I needed a break anyway. This looks so great! I can't believe you took an 18/20 dress like that and turned it into something so cute and perfect for you! I love this and am so very jealous of your skills. Nice job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That dress is really cute now. I'm impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The alteration is great - I have to say what I admire most is that you got it done : ) There are far too many 'alteration needed' pieces that just go into a box in my closet, never to see the light of day - let a lone needle and thread.

    Oh! and I love Swedish pop music and films.
    Did you see The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo?

    I want to finish the book before I see the movie. But it looks like it could be good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is awesome! I never would have guessed it was so big before you fixed it! I have a never-ending sewing pile, I'm hoping I have time to get to it this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree that you have mad sewing skillz and that this dress is so great, and looks fab with the tights and boots. But I am also impressed with your mad thrifting skillz and that you could see the potential for adorable in this dress that was SO not your size. I don't sew but if I had bought that dress at all, and I might have, I would totally wear it as is, but maybe, as Blokey noted, not in public.

    ReplyDelete
  8. im super impressed

    here back in NL everyone is telling me to stand straighter

    dutch keyboards dont have punctuation

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have some mad thrifting and sewing skillz, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree that you have mad sewing skillz and that this dress is so great, and looks fab with the tights and boots. But I am also impressed with your mad thrifting skillz and that you could see the potential for adorable in this dress that was SO not your size. I don't sew but if I had bought that dress at all, and I might have, I would totally wear it as is, but maybe, as Blokey noted, not in public.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ditto. Such skills you have, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is awesome! I never would have guessed it was so big before you fixed it! I have a never-ending sewing pile, I'm hoping I have time to get to it this summer!

    ReplyDelete