Friday, July 16, 2010

Never a bridesmaid

First, today's post a bit of cheat because I am not wearing this out. I am wearing a tank top and very short shorts, for writing. Later, I'll throw on an A-line dress, which Style Underdog reminded me yesterday is key for hot weather.
I am going to a bridesmaid a few short weeks for a very lovely friend. I've never been one before, and I am hoping to do the job well. The bride wants a 50s vibe, but if you've noticed, I don't really have a 50s build. I wanted to a really light dress, because it's outside in the Chicago 'burbs, in early August (which is swamp like and powerfully sunny). She also wanted black and white, with a black dress. Jessphg did a great post on black summer dresses a while ago, so I ended up buying one of her "similar to" dresses. It was a $35 summer dress from Delias, that shop for girls aged 14-18. It had a full pleated skirt and a fitted bodice. There was also talk of getting a crinoline, for the '50s vibe.
Fast forward to today, when I got the pretty crinoline in the mail. Here it is:

From FireflyVintage. They upgraded my shipping for free!

I used some pins to adjust the height, threw on the dress, and voila- I realized that my long torso strikes again.

please ignore the fact that I look like I've been sweating in front of a computer all day.

The bodice is an oh-so-significant 1 1/2" inches from my natural waist. Since I am more than 1 1/2" above average height, I suppose this is to be expected. But the end result is I think I look thicker in the middle than I'm used to seeing myself. The bride said no to a colored sash, so I have a few options:
1) Buy or make fairly substantial (like 3") ribbon or similar fabric belt. I'd have to use some interfacing to make it more sturdy, and I'd lower the belt strings a bit to tie it under the bodice. Maybe some hook and eyes strategically place to avoid slippage (time to completion, including shopping for materials: 4-5 hours, maybe $5-$10 max
2) Figure out a way to lengthen the bodice. I'd have to take out the stitches holding the bodice to the skirt, hopefully without ruining those perfect bleats. Then I'd attach a 2 1/2 inch waist band made of similar materials (time to completion: 8-10 hours, maybe $12 cost).
3) Say "screw it" and decide that I look good enough, it's not my wedding, and as long as the bride doesn't mind (she got this picture forwarded to her), I can go back to writing.
Thoughts?

19 comments:

  1. hehe for some reason this reminded me of a chose your own adventure : )

    Hmm it's a cute dress it's hard to tell what the bodice looks like since black is hard to photograph- but option one seems like a fairly easy fix.

    Option 3 maybe not so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd probably go with Option 1. The crinoline looks cute with that dress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that looks great all put together!

    Is a white sash out too? Because that'd look so sharp. If you did #1, I'd go with a nice, thick satin ribbon since it might be hard to match the fabric exactly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am thinking option 3, but I am lazy and easily irritated by weddings. I suppose it ultimately depends on how much time you really want to devote to this, as you will be a bit player in this performance. Maybe it's not worth 5 hours of your time?

    I like the crinoline peeking out a lot, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorite "wearing waist" is about 2" below my navel. My real waist is an inch or so above. I always think I look weird when I tuck and belt/tie at my natural waist, though now that I'm doing it more I'm getting used to seeing it.

    Although you may not be used to seeing your waist in that place, you really do look good as pictured (sweating in front of the computer aside). If the bride approves the look, call it good and move on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rad, it's hard to tell from the photo but the dress looks ok. Is is uncomfortable?

    If you are planning to keep the dress for awhile then do #1.

    If you know you will never wear the dress again then do #3 and sell the dress on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd choose Option 3. Unless you're a really good seamstress, I wouldn't attempt #2 unless you have a back-up dress at the ready. It's a great dress, the crinoline looks sassy, and your waist in the dress is in the same place mine is in real life, so it looks natural to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like it as is, but if you need to do something (i.e. if the bride - otherwise known as she-who-is-the-boss-of-you-on-this-one-day - says no), I like option 1 with the wide black satin ribbon option Anne suggests.

    As a fellow longbody (I'm a solid 2.5 inches longer than "regular" sizes), I feel your discomfort, but I don't see it. And the crinoline's such a great touch! Also, the dress would be awesome at the front of university classroom with a cardigan and either some boots or those kicky heels you bought for the other wedding. But probably you know this already.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @everyone: Thanks for the comments. I'm going to look for a 2" wide ribbon at M&J trimmings sometime next week and not do anything but tie it on, and see how it goes. And see what the bride says.
    I'm also contemplating some kind of crazy, backcombed hairstyle, a la Rizzo in Grease. I promise to document!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Also, @SU: It's not uncomfortable, but there is something odd with having something strapped to the very bottom one's floating ribs. I hope to wear it again and again, cause the bodice fits pretty well- good question!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think it's funny that we always see our "flaws" before anyone else. I think you look completely darling in this dress with the crinoline! What a fun concept for bridesmaid dresses :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree that there seems to be nothing out of the ordinary about the fit of this in the picture as you look really great and I am loving that crinoline. I think it would also be awesome under the rockabilly dress you made (rehearsal dinner outfit?). I'd go for option three because I do not sew but I think option 1 will be fun. Can you get some fab black-on-black patterned ribbon? I can't wait to see your backcombed 'do.

    Also, where is Buster (kitty withdrawal)? Is Lula tolerating him now?

    ReplyDelete
  13. @eek: Thanks for the encouragement. It feels funny, but maybe it doesn't look too funy.
    @DM: You're back! (online). Yes, it would be awesome under the rockabilly dress, although maybe I won't wear it twice if Chicago is as hot as it's been. Let's see how my schedule takes me (in terms of getting to M&J sometime before August 7).
    Buster and Lula have reached detente- like US/Soviet Union relations circa 1972. We're hoping to get to the "jokey spy scandal" stage, not the "evil empire stage" next. Lula tolerates him, but that's about it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree with DM, I vote 3. Looks great!
    (this is Ikke btw)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think it looks adorable with the waist up high. A black or white ribbon tied in a bow should be all you need to finish off the outfit. Can't wait to see pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I agree that there seems to be nothing out of the ordinary about the fit of this in the picture as you look really great and I am loving that crinoline. I think it would also be awesome under the rockabilly dress you made (rehearsal dinner outfit?). I'd go for option three because I do not sew but I think option 1 will be fun. Can you get some fab black-on-black patterned ribbon? I can't wait to see your backcombed 'do.

    Also, where is Buster (kitty withdrawal)? Is Lula tolerating him now?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like it as is, but if you need to do something (i.e. if the bride - otherwise known as she-who-is-the-boss-of-you-on-this-one-day - says no), I like option 1 with the wide black satin ribbon option Anne suggests.

    As a fellow longbody (I'm a solid 2.5 inches longer than "regular" sizes), I feel your discomfort, but I don't see it. And the crinoline's such a great touch! Also, the dress would be awesome at the front of university classroom with a cardigan and either some boots or those kicky heels you bought for the other wedding. But probably you know this already.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, that looks great all put together!

    Is a white sash out too? Because that'd look so sharp. If you did #1, I'd go with a nice, thick satin ribbon since it might be hard to match the fabric exactly.

    ReplyDelete
  19. hehe for some reason this reminded me of a chose your own adventure : )

    Hmm it's a cute dress it's hard to tell what the bodice looks like since black is hard to photograph- but option one seems like a fairly easy fix.

    Option 3 maybe not so much :)

    ReplyDelete